Thursday, July 7, 2011

Do I Look Like an ATM?

I don't know when I began to resemble an ATM but I have a sinking suspicion it was around the time my son began his teen years. Unlike girls, he doesn't wear me out with clothes, shoes, etc. He could NEVER think so cheaply as that. NOOOOO!!! We have to do it with cars. It's always something. He wrecked the car in May in the school parking lot. We have full coverage on the car so I am out the $1k deductible on that. NOW, last Saturday morning, he backed out of the garage into our turn around which so happened to have his friend's pick up in it. I don't know how fast he was going but it did $2300 damage to the car. I can't file with insurance as I am scared they will drop me. (He only got his license the first of March). We just got the check from the insurance company for the first wreck so now we are having the other fixed. Heck! The car is only worth $7k.... He swears his friend is going to buy it for $8500. He doesn't want the car. When he started driving, I told him he would get one car out of me. He got a well running and maintained late model car that the only thing wrong with it is his driving. He wants to sell it for a cheaper car. Which at this point, I can carry collision only etc. BUT.... I told him since this wasn't what I gave him, tires, oil changes, parts, etc. are all on him. The maintenance on a crappy car isn't on me. Just insurance. He seems set on this. I guess this is the beginning of him learning things the hard way because apparently I don't seem to know anything. I told him he needed to move out while he still knows it all... :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember as a kid not understanding $ and its value. I wanted to get a steer for a 9 month project and when they said the total project with food would cost around $1000-$1200 I was like "no problem" and called daddy. He made me sign a contract stating that I would give him a budget of all the cost and after I sold the steer at the fair I had to pay him back and I could keep the rest. The cool part is when I handed him over the $ he gave it back and told me to put it towards my first car. I think your son will learn the value of $ sooner than later. Just be there to be his soundboard and not the bottomless ATM.

    ReplyDelete