Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Power of Positive Thinking

It seems you can't turn around anymore without someone shoving positivity down your throat.  For most of us, it isn't that we are not counting our blessings, it's more things aren't going quite the way we plan and it's a definite downer.  For instance, people are not happy when they lose their house to foreclosure but yes, are grateful they can rent an apartment.  It doesn't mean they are still not upset over the loss of their home.

I am typically a glass 2/3 empty kind of person.  I will see ways things can fail so I don't waste what precious optimism I have.  (I tend to drag it out only on special occasions).  I will have a plan A, plan B, etc.  In this fashion, I am never disappointed when things don't work out, and can only be pleasantly surprised when they do.

So, with all of that being said, I don't buy all the malarkey about "positive thinking".  Believe it and it will happen.  Or, if it doesn't work out the way you wanted, it's because you have a blessing coming your way.  Riiiiiight.  Okay, does that mean if someone applies for 10-15 jobs and is qualified for them all but is not selected, they have a blessing coming their way?  The PERFECT job is out there for you?  Whatever; they could lose their home and be living in the apartment discussed earlier waiting for all of that to happen.

I believe we control what happens to us to some extent.  Everything in life happens, we react to it.  Or not...  I do know a few people who have difficulty making decisions so they make the decision  NOT to make a decision.  So, basically everyone else is making decisions affecting their lives and they are miserable....  And then complain.

Yes, life happens, we all have hiccups in our plans, sometimes total detours ("I think I should've made a left at Albuquerque" - Love me some Bugs Bunny).  But those that take life and deal with it, maybe alter their course and plow on with determination are the people who are successful and satisfied with their lives.. They may not be the epitome of eternal happiness, but they are in control of their destiny, life is not spinning out of control and they can take pride in what they have accomplished.

I know this is a bit of a ramble and probably doesn't make much sense.  I just get so tired of people telling me how I need to think positive.  I DO think positive...  About the way I handle and deal with things.  I am positively confident in my abilities.  I do NOT, however, place my confidence, happiness, and misguided positivity in what I have deemed to be risk, doomed to fail situations or in people who seem to have issues with follow through but are always "positive" this next plan will work out.  Call me crazy.......

No comments:

Post a Comment