Thursday, August 19, 2010

It Was Bound To Happen...

I knew it.  I just knew it.  Somehow I had the feeling today was the day and I was right.  Today went well. I left work early to run an errand as the store was to close at 4.  I picked up a new garage opener and headed toward the house.  I went to call my son and hung up the phone.  I occasionally like to come home at odd times to surprise him, make sure he isn't up to no good while I am out.  My instincts paid off today.

The garage door was open when I came home.  I pulled in and sat in the car for a few minutes, finishing my conversation with CC. We have two doors from the garage that enter the house.  One enters the laundry/mud room and the other enters the top of the basement stairs and turning, into the foyer.  I walked into the latter and called out for the Son.  He said he was in the basement taking a nap.  He was WAY too alert to be napping.  The basement was totally dark so I turned on a light and decided to walk down.  I looked into his room and he was in bed.  I flipped on the light and the covers didn't look right.  I glanced around and saw clothing that was DEFINITELY not his.  I tapped what looked to be his leg and asked if it was his and he said yes.  I pulled back the covers and low and behold....  I found FOUR feet.  *Sigh*.

I asked who was under the covers with him, guessed and told him to dress and come upstairs.  I questioned him on the usual.  What were you thinking? Did you wear a condom? How stupid do you think I am?  And so forth.  I had him go downstairs and fetch his girl and bring her up as we were ALL going to sit for a talk.

I was blunt.  Discussed birth control (which she was not on), discussed condoms (failure will happen before they win the lottery) and both should be used.  We discussed ramifications of babies at young ages, what they could expect their lives to be like if it happened etc.  I laid it all out on the line.  I advised her to go home and have a discussion with her mother about birth control.  She has 30 days to take care of this and prove to me she had or I will discuss with her mother.  I think they got the picture.

The fact is, I did it as a teen and everyone else was too.  I am not so naive to think that the kids aren't doing it now and probably at a younger age.  I figure the best you can do is to make sure they understand ramifications of not thinking beyond their urges and to make sure they are protecting themselves from unwanted pregnancies and disease.  We have kept condoms in this house since the Son was 12-13.  I guess it was a good thing.  They were slowly disappearing.  You never know if it was his friends taking them or the Son but at least they are being used.  For that I suppose I can be thankful.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes.
    Would it have solved the problem a different way if you deliberately guessed the wrong name when you were standing in front of the bed?
    I think you handled it amazingly responsibly.

    (BTW, I lost my virginity at age 21.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for your support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bat lost his virginity at age 21?!

    ReplyDelete