Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Best 10K Ever Spent

View from the carport
My family has a 23 acre farm. Grandma lives there and I take care of it.  We keep 6-8 acres as her "yard". This means mowing and trimming around EVERYTHING.  We had a small riding lawnmower for several years which was very difficult to use as the grass could get so tall.  The mower was too small for the job.  About 5 years ago I talked my grandmother into buying a tractor that can handle our mowing needs.  She spent 10k on our Massey Ferguson GC2300 compact lawn tractor.  it is diesel and can really mow.  It can take down trees 1/2 inch in diameter without blinking.  I somehow neglected to take a picture of it today so here is one from the Internet.

Now it still takes about 8 hours or so for one person to do the whole thing right, trimming, etc. so I go every other weekend to take care of it.  You get a sense of accomplishment when you look at the end product but I can think of way better things to do other than yard work.  I took some pictures of the end product: (More text at the end).
Immediate front yard
Obligatory vehicles that don't run you have to mow around...
Section of front yard by the road














Coming down the drive


















The house        

Back yard, both sections

Back yard

There are several other sections of yard I did not take pictures of but you get the idea.  A small riding lawn mower just wasn't made to do this type of mowing.  I love my tractor!!

1 comment:

  1. crazy. I've never seen so much land on a private property. I'm awed and humbled by how much yardwork you put in.

    ReplyDelete