Thursday, August 26, 2010

Buzzzzzzzz...

Today after work CC and I went to visit one of those Beehive Communities.  Otherwise known as assisted living.  My grandmother has talked about one for a while and CC's mother needs a little help, but otherwise is capable of independent living.

They are actually pretty nice.  They are not nursing homes.  They do not smell.  They have supervisory staff 24/7.  I get the name now.  They essentially have some central areas, tv room, kitchen, dining, activity room but they also have some space of their own.  All of the rooms are off of the main areas and halls.  Just like a beehive. You can have your own cable tv in your room, phone, etc.  They all come with their own private baths.  The rooms do have different sizes to accommodate married couples, sisters, etc.

No one is forced to socialize.  You can keep to yourself in your room as much as you want without anyone bothering you.  You can also participate in all of the available activities as well.  It's pretty much an all inclusive thing.  Food, personal care, utilities etc. is all covered.  No up charges.  That is nice and makes it easy to budget for.  Now, you are still looking at 3200-3400 a month.  The equivalent of a big mortgage and some college tuition but can be a viable option.  I think it is something my grandmother could embrace and she has the money to swing payments.

Concern is, are the people happy?  While we were there, many of the residents were in the main TV area watching Andy Griffith.  Not a lot of chatter.  It was a bit hard to tell if they were actually happy.  It's all good in theory but then I think, "what if it was me?"  I love my grandmother dearly and would rather she just come and live with me.  She is a hoot and an absolute joy to have around.  I would never want to do anything that made her unhappy even if it was something she asked for.

CC's mother is another story.  I don't know if it will work for his mother.  We may be better off finding her a handicap accessible apartment close by.  We can do the laundry, grocery, etc. but she will have her own space and it will be more cost effective for her budget.  I think regardless, that whole road is a rough one traveled.

2 comments:

  1. do both women live close to your home now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother is 45 minutes (38 miles) away. CC's mother is in the middle of TN

    ReplyDelete