Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Miss Dismissed

Monday morning I spoke with my boss regarding my desire to flex some of my work time a few days a month. I requested the ability to work from the house so that I could spend some time in Florida. I would not be missing any time away from the office and would be in the office 4 days a week. She stated her boss would not go for it and really didn't say much else.

So, today I put together an e-mail, circling the topic back around. I stated my case, where we are with the contract etc. and that as I am dedicated, and have made the department quite successful, I wanted to see if my plan could be given some consideration and a trial period. I included a calendar of what a typical month would be like. I stated what I would be able to do to help the department with the transition to the new contact and be able to mentor someone to do the things that I do etc. It was a well put together e-mail and I had even had another director look at it. They felt that I had a compelling argument for what I wanted.

I was totally dismissed. I mean no consideration, nothing. All my boss did was reply to me "sent it to _______ (her boss). She didn't pick up the phone, vouch for me, given an opinion, nothing. The e-mail I received this afternoon was what she had exchanged with her boss. When she forwarded my e-mail all it said was "What do you think?" The reply? "This is a full time in house position". DUH! That particular statement was my second sentence in the whole thing. I acknowledged that from the beginning. My boss then forwarded all of that to me stating, "FYI. We have been told consistently all managers and directors need to be full time in house." THEN she said, "Do what you need to do but give me as much notice as possible". Period, end of story. I didn't know if I would get a yes or no, but the five years of work running this department, excellent reviews, bonuses, awards, etc. were totally discounted like a child who wanted dessert before dinner. I feel betrayed by a boss who has always told me how much she valued me and how much work I have taken from her shoulders. (Which by the way is exactly where this entire department will be landing). She wants notice? She can't even have a conversation and be an advocate for me but wants me to give her notice? She will get all the internal reference checks. That will be her notice. I find it difficult to believe that bending to accommodate someone on a short term basis far too much trouble than totally sending away an employee such as myself. It is not the company philosophy that is for sure. There are many other departments that do exactly what I am asking and I cannot even get a few minutes of someone's time. So... I am totally disenchanted. I will be seeking some sort of advice from HR in the morning. One, to verify that I am not being unreasonable and two, to see what I can do in order to find another position within the company.. One where I might be valuable enough for at least a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment